Back to
Bicentennial
Home Page

.

Press Information

Bicentennial Logo

Please see our Logo Contest for background on the logo.

Use of the logo in media publicity and reporting is a Permitted Use per the License Agreement and does not require further written permission from the committee.

Logo Image Files For Publications

The logo can be downloaded in two sizes, and in four popular formats.

Small Large
Middlebury bicentennial 40%.EPS
(10.3 meg)
Middlebury bicentennial.EPS
( 10.3 meg)
Middlebury bicentennial 40%.jpg
( 54K)
Middlebury bicentennial.jpg
( 208K)
Middlebury bicentennial 40%.pdf
( 300K)
Middlebury bicentennial.pdf
( 300K)
Middlebury bicentennial 40%.tif
(364K)
Middlebury bicentennial.tif
( 2.2 meg)

Town Background

Middlebury was incorporated as a town in October of 1807. During the past year, the Board of Selectmen created a Bicentennial Celebration Committee to plan and
implement a series of events that would bring this historical event to the attention of the citizens and general public and t b68 o enlist their participation in a variety of pertinent activities and events.

The following, taken from a plaque erected by the Middlebury Historical Society, Incorporated, and the Connecticut Historical Commission in 1976, describes the early history of Middlebury:

"Its name derives from the central position its meeting house occupies, six miles from three older neighbors, Waterbury, Southbury and Woodbury.

Winter ecclesiastical privileges, permitting local church services, were established for West Farms, originally the southwest portion of Waterbury, in 1786. In 1790, West Farms and adjoining portions of Woodbury and Southbury became a distinct ecclesiastical society under the name of Middlebury.

The first house in the area was erected by Isaac Bronson before 1702 on Breakneck Hill.

During the Revolutionary War, French General Rochambeau and his troops established a camp in the Breakneck Hill section on their march to the final campaign at Yorktown,
Virginia.

First petition to the General Assembly for Independence of Middlebury from Waterbury was made in 1800. After much opposition incorporation was granted in October, 1807."


Today, Middlebury occupies a total area of 18.5 square miles, with a population of 6,846 persons. Its form of government is selectmen, town meeting, and board of finance, maintaining one voting district. Middlebury participates in Regional School District #15, with the Town of Southbury.

June 2006
The Middlebury Bicentennial Committee
PO Box 1327
Middlebury, Connecticut.


For further information please contact:
Terry McAuliffe at 203-758-1492 or E-Mail bicentennial@middlebury-ct.org.


Non-Profit Organization

The Middlebury Bicentennial Committee is a 501 (c) (3) Non Profit Organization.

TAX ID 42-1706228

 

Copyright © 2007 Town of Middlebury Connecticut Bicentennial Committee
PO Box 1327  Middlebury, CT  06762

Middlebury Bicentennial® and the Middlebury Bicentennial Logo® are Registered Trademarks.
Products using the words "Middlebury Bicentennial" or using the Middlebury Bicentennial Logo
must be licensed by the Town of Middlebury Connecticut Bicentennial Committee